Tabular View enables you to create a custom spreadsheet-like view over which you can apply various functionalities like grouping, summarizing and filtering. It enables you to view your original data as well as its summaries.
To create a Tabular View:
- Login to Spiro Reports and open the reporting database in which you wish to create a tabular view.
- Click the New icon and select New Report.
- Select Tabular View in the Create New Report window that opens.
- The Select Base Table dialog opens.
- Select a table or a query table on which you want to create the tabular view and click OK.
- New tabular view will be created. Click the Save icon to save the tabular view.
Alternatively, you can also create a new tabular view by opening the corresponding table on which you want to create the view and then clicking New > New Tabular View option in the toolbar.
- By default, when you create a Tabular View over a table, all the columns will be selected. In case you wish to hide any column, refer Show/Hide Columns section in this help documentation.
- After creating the tabular view, if you want to add a column which has been added in the table, you will not be able to do so. You will only have to recreate the view. However, any record that is updated in the table, will automatically get updated in the view.
Spiro Reports provides various customization options such as grouping, summarizing, adding formulae etc.. to organize the data for better analysis.
Spiro Reports enables you to group the unique values in a column. This allows you to easily visualize and analyse large sets of data.
Available grouping options are:
- Group by Block: Groups the unique values in the column into columnar blocks.
- Group by Section: Groups the unique values in the column into sections.
- Ungroup: Ungroups the group applied on the selected column.
- Ungroup All: Ungroups all the grouping in the view.
- You cannot group the data once a filter is applied to a tabular view. Hence, it is recommended that you first group your data in case you need to and then apply filters.
Group by Block
Group by block allows you to group the unique values in the selected column into columar blocks.
To group into columnar blocks:
- Select the column you want to group
- Click Group > Group – Block in the toolbar
The unique values in the column will be grouped into blocks as shown in the snapshot.
Group by Section
Group by section allows you to group the unique values in a column into sections. Data rows corresponding to the unique value will be grouped under each section. You can only have one sectional grouping in a tabular view.
To group into sections:
- Select the column you want to group
- Click Group > Group – Sectional in the toolbar
The unique values in the column will be grouped as shown below.
Spiro Reports enables you to apply summary functions to the columns in the tabular view. You can apply one or more summary function to a column. When you apply a summary function over a column, a summary row for each group (block and section) and a grand summary row for the view will be displayed. Listed below are the sets of summary functions supported by Spiro Reports for a tabular view and their functionalities.
|Numeric and Currency Data Type|
Returns the sum of all the values in the column. If the columns are grouped, summation will be applied at the group level.
|Average||Returns arithmetic mean of all the values in the column. In case grouping has been applied, it will return the average value at the group level.|
|Count Records||Returns a count of the number of records in the column. If grouping is applied, it then provides the total number of records at the group level.|
|Min||Returns minimum value in the column. If the columns are grouped, then the minimum value will be applied at the group level.|
|Max||Returns maximum value in the column. If the columns are grouped, then the maximum value will be applied at group level.|
|Standard Deviation||Returns the standard deviation of the column. If the columns are grouped, then it will then display the standard deviation at the group level.|
|Variance||Returns the variance of the column. If the columns are grouped, then the function will be applied at the group level.|
|String Data Type|
Returns the count of the number of records in the column. If grouping is applied, it then provides the total number of records at the group level.
To apply summary functions:
- Select the column and click the Summary button in the toolbar.
- In the Summary dialog that opens, select the check boxes adjacent to the functions you wish to apply. You can select multiple functions.
- Click OK.
The below snapshop shows the tabular view, with the selected summary functions applied.
Spiro Reports provides formula column support in tabular views.
To create a formula column:
- Click the Add button in the toolbar, and select Custom Formula.
- In the Add Custom Formula dialog that opens, type the formula you wish to create and click OK.
A new column using the specified formula gets created as shown in the snapshot.
To know more in detail about adding formula to a tabular view, refer Custom Formulas.