Mac Users: How to set a default email app
- Open the Mail app.
- If you haven't already set up an email account in Mail preferences or Internet preferences, follow the onscreen instructions to set one up now.
- From the Mail menu, choose Preferences.
- Click General.
- Choose your email app from the ”Default email reader” pop-up menu.
Windows Users: How to configure a default email app
- Hit Windows + W to open the Settings Search screen. Type Default Programs in the search box and from the result set, choose Default Programs.
- On the next window click on the link reading Associate a file type or a protocol with a program. That will open the Set Associations window.
- Scroll down the programs list till you find Protocols section. Then look for MAILTO and double click on it to set your preference.
- When you do that you will be presented with a list of programs that allow the protocol action. You may also search for an app from the Store.
- Choose the one you wish to set as your default. Preferred Option: Outlook desktop email client.
- Back on the Set Associations window you may want to verify if things have been set accordingly. Check the Current Default against MAILTO option.